Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Falling Slowly

Ahhh, did you see the Oscars last Sunday night? I love movies but I am not a one of those “gotta see every movie” people. I wish I was, but I just don’t have the time! Anyhow, my absolute favorite Oscar moment(s) was the performance of the song “Falling Slowly” and the acceptance speeches by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Oh the performance was so beautiful. And when they won best song, I stood up and yelled. They accepted the award with such grace, gratitude and pure honesty. I have showed that Oscar moment to my kids a few times. It is the perfect example of making your dreams come true. Of course my daughters have heard “dreams do come true” a gazillion times from me and from Cinderella, but here was a real live (not a cartoon and not their repetitive mother) example. I already knew the song but didn’t know it was from a movie. Glen Hansard sounds just like Cat Stevens (don’t get me started on how much I love the movie Harold and Maude!).

Here is a youtube video of them singing it outside, in Sundance, just the 2 of them, one instrument.


Yeh for them, now I need to go rent the movie.