Sunday, March 16, 2008

Wirework...stealing my sleep!

Ah, this happens about every 3 or 4 months. I get an idea and design in my head and I obsess! I have to stop everything, including sleeping, and work on that design until I get it right.

Here is my latest obsession. I have always been drawn to classic hand forged wrought ironwork pieces. When ever I go to San Francisco I spend the journey with my nose pressed up against the car window (when I am not driving), focusing on the railings, panels and doors adorned with crazy crazy scroll patterns. It just blows my mind. I have always wanted to sit with my wire and replicate them. There was an amazing gate in the movie "The Other Boylen Girl" that got this idea back in my head. I have wanted to replicate some of these classic patterns for about 10 years, but lack of time kept them from exiting my brain and taking shape on my pliers. Until yesterday.....and last night, and late last night, and early this morning, and after meeting Dallas Lovett (who was in town teaching) for lunch....yes, I didn't sleep much last night. I spent most of the night scrolling and binding and scrolling and binding. The few minutes I did sleep, I scrolled and bound in my dreams. I didn't have any Sterling wire at home so I used some of my kids craft wire. Humm, lovely blue, red and copper....yikes! It made for a dang ugly piece but the structure and design are there. Please ignore the red piece, I kinda lost it down there.

Today I ran to my studio before lunch and picked up some Sterling and continued with my obsession. It is going quite well and I think I have FINALLY figured out my project for Hooked On Wire. I will get a few pix up here soon....for now, below is a practice piece in Sterling.

The work desperately needs to be oxidized and cleaned up a bit (those ugly blunt ends on the inside of the spirals should be hammered and tapered before beginning the spiral). The final HOW piece will be bigger, more intricate and most likely a necklace. I am sure most will say "put some beads on there girl!", and I probably will, but I really like the simplicity of just wire.