Sunday, August 9, 2009

Felt like sooooo long ago?

There are chapters in my life where the years just kinda come and go. Yeah, there is always good news and bad news and kids growing and changing and such but all in all, pretty smooth sailing. Well today I realized that it has been exactly one year since my first Thyroid surgery and it has me reflecting on the passing of this year. This has not been an easy year. Was it really just a year ago? Feels like longer. I am not writing here to blab about the details but more to explore this whole thing called time.

How often do you recall an event in the past and say "man, that seems like ages ago" or "seems like just yesterday"? So here's my question; if there are positive or negative feelings associated with an event, do those feelings define the perceived passage of time? My first surgery, and all the hell that came with it, seems like waaaaay longer than a year ago. My wedding feels like "just yesterday" but maybe that is because it was a blast and I wish I was still there. I certainly don't feel like I can possibly have a 6.5 and 9 year old. Seems like their births and toddler hoods truly were just yesterday. Watching my step dad take his last breath seems like forever ago, yet it was just in March. Maybe the bad and yucky things feel like forever ago, and the positive things feel more recent.

Hummm, not sure if I am coming up with a proper theory here. I will sit on it.

This is the kinda stuff that keeps me up at night pondering. I tend to get hung up on the stuff that has no explanation, go figure!